Trump’s presidency increasingly resembles a G&S light opera
More and more the Trump presidency resembles a Gilbert & Sullivan light opera, in particular The Mikado. Whilst Gilbert’s narrative was a satire on Victorian society, we see in Trump’s presidency the satire becoming reality.
Adam wishes he had the skills to write updated lyrics as so many of the songs are relevant to the situation obtaining in Washington today.
However, he has considered some casting of what might be called The Orange Mikado:-
- The Orange Mikado = The Orange Man – Donald Trump
- Nanki-Poo, – Ivanka Trump
- Ko-Ko, The Lord High Executioner of Titipu – Steve Bannon
- Pooh-Bah, Lord High Everything Else – Jared Kushner
- Pish-Tush, A Noble Lord – Reince Preibus
- Katisha, An Elderly lady, – Kellyanne Conway
- Chorus of School-Girls, Nobles, Guards – The GOP, Fox News
Not sure about the Three Little Maids – suggestions invited.
Suggest the staging might be Mar – e -Largo.
Adam leaves ‘Titipu’ for the moment, but asks you to consider this song, but mentally substitute the proposed casting. The clip is from an updated version of some years ago, but which is eerily appropriate.